3.23.2013

Better to Yield Than Die :)

I was driving this morning and just missed having an accident, one that probably would have been ugly. I was driving straight through an intersection and a girl coming the opposite direction made a left turn right in front of me, without hesitation at all. Then, she had nerve to look at me like I was crazy!

I, of course, threw my hands in the air and said, "Wha-T? (emphasis on the "T," in a Madea sort of way). Why are you looking at me? Are you crazy?" Then I caught myself, and calmed down. I said to God, she is crazy. And wrong. If I had not stopped, and had hit her, it would have been her fault. Not mine.

And He said (in my heart, of course), and this is paraphrased, "Yes. She would have been wrong and you could be dead...but she was wrong. Or you could both be badly injured, but she was wrong. How's that sound?"

Well, when you put it like that...I suppose it wouldn't really matter who was wrong, if we were both bleeding. If I held my ground because I was right, and hurt us both in the process, I wouldn't really win.

The lesson I took away was this: not every hill is worth dying on. Not every argument is worth having. Sometimes it's better to yield, even when the other person is wrong. Just back off, slow down and let them go on by with their wrong selves.

Not every wrong needs to be addressed and pointed out. Not every wrong thing said needs to be confronted or defended.

Easier said than done, but it's the way I am called to live.




2 comments:

  1. A good and Godly call.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes losing is winning....so glad you won! ....mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Now, what are you thinking?