6.30.2010

Turn, turn, turn

Lately I find myself continually struck by the dualities (if I can use that word) of life. To explain what I mean I'll share the first time I remember noticing it, minor as the situation was. My doctor's office was in the tower at Jackson Hospital in Montgomery and I remember going in for a sick visit - probably one of the first that my mother didn't go back to the room with me. At least I don't remember her being there. The window overlooked I-65 and as I stood there fearful, trying to distract myself from the coming pain (finger pricks and a giant Q-tip jammed down my throat), it hit me that all those people below were going on about their business, travelling, on their lunch breaks...whatever. My world stood still, while theirs kept going as usual. That's such a small example, but it's something that I remember and the concept continues to surface. Most recently I noticed it when a child was in a drowning accident and a family's world screeched to a halt while I was at a birthday party...she is now on the road to a full recovery. Again, in the death of our pastor's father, who had battled cancer for some time. And once more at the news that a family's newborn baby is not expected to live more than 12 months, while I just hugged my healthy baby boy and put him down for a nap. Tragedy strikes but my life goes on basically uninterrupted...the world keeps on turning.



The wisest man who ever lived said it this way:


There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace.


That same wise man also said this:


Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.


Something I am thankful for and am still learning to tap into is friendship and servanthood. The truth is that we all experience times of weeping and mourning...it is inescapable as long as we are here. However, we don't have to experience those things alone. In my mind I see thousands of wheels turning like cogwheels in a machine. Sometimes one might not have the strength to keep turning, but as long as it is connected to the rest, then the ones around it will "stand in the gap" and keep it going.


This is the beauty of the Body of Christ at times of


tragedy and difficulty. We are to "carry each other's burdens" fulfilling the Law of Christ (loving God and loving others). I pray that He continues to teach me to serve my friends and even those that I don't know, when I am in my seasons of laughter, dancing and peace. I know they will do the same for me if the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Now, what are you thinking?